Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Some fantastic blogs

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been blogging much of late.  Partially this is because life has just been a bit hectic and partially because I do not believe in writing if I don't have anything to say.  I do have about five posts started that I can't sit down and finish but ... someday!  That said, I've been reading some great blogs of late and I was thinking that this post of mine will just highlight a few of them.

One of the newest blogs I have added to my reading repertoire is Autism's Gadfly. This bloggist is a bit dry at times but unlike so many loud and outspoken autistic bloggers, he isn't thrilled with his autism and would "cure" it if such a thing became available.  He recently wrote Autism is Not a Disability but a Gift and a Superability?  I really think the "other" side of the primary autism debate is interesting to read.  So many autistics forget that many of the kiddos out there are not Aspies, but in fact severely autistic people who cannot communicate and are otherwise disabled by their autism.

Another new find is Live from the Wang and her post Ten Questions I WANT You To Ask About AutismWhile I don't agree with her answers 100% they are pretty funny and I liked number 10 so much it was almost worth the read just for that.  I also hate watching or reading "entertainment" about autism and had been thinking about a post on that very subject.  I might still do one ... someday!  I guess that brings my unfinished blog count to six ...

Another awesome blog is Love That Max.  I know a lot of my traffic has come from Ellen's weekly blog link up and I will be forever grateful for some of the wonderful friends I have made through her.  She recently did a post called What if William and Kate had a child with special needs?  It is definitely an interesting topic to ponder.

Then there is Kristi at Finding Ninee who so accurately summed up my opinions about righting a wrong.  There are no wrongs in this world. While I have been known to say that I wish I had stopped at one child because Alan so frequently overwhelms me, he is also my giggle box and cuddle bug and he has helped me to really appreciate how autism is truly a spectrum.  I would never right that "wrong". 

Over the years we have considered a service dog for Alan but came to the conclusion that it wasn't right for our family.  A great blog post by Jennifer Butler at Special Happens is Is a Service Dog Right for You? What to Consider Before Considering a Service Dog.  Reading through her checklist I know we made the right choice, but a second look at such a critical decision is never a bad thing.

And what would a list of favorite blogs be without Kerri at Undiagnosed but Okay?  Kerri really gets the almost magical connection we bloggists feel for so many "friends" that we have never met.

And that concludes my blog post which is basically just a summer reading list.  Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie, THANK YOU so very much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate being on this list. I admire your writing and your perspective and to be recognized by you is an honor. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the nod. It means a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list. Will check it out! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete