What is Autism? by Autism Speaks
I do love my boys but I love them in spite of their autism not because of it.
That said, there are perks to having two special needs kids.
- I do not worry about them getting anyone pregnant!
- I don't worry about them being out late at night. Most of the time Joe wants to be home and in bed by 9 pm. Of course, this is mainly because of the medication he takes which makes him sleepy.
- I don't have to worry about alcohol until age 21 or illegal drugs -- Joe is way too much of a rule follower for that.
- They don't need the latest clothes, games, or electronics.
- They want me around (OK, sometimes this isn't a perk, but my friends with typical kids assure me it IS unusual!)
- We get to have family dinners every night because they aren't running to a half a dozen (or more) weekly teams or activities. Of course, as I mentioned in one of my other posts, dinners with Alan are anything but restful!