Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Perks of Special Needs Kids

Many people ask me "what is autism?" or "what causes autism?"  If I knew I would be a millionaire!  That said, here is one of the best answers I've seen in a long time.

What is Autism? by Autism Speaks 

I do love my boys but I love them in spite of their autism not because of it.  

That said, there are perks to having two special needs kids.  

  • I do not worry about them getting anyone pregnant!  
  • I don't worry about them being out late at night.  Most of the time Joe wants to be home and in bed by 9 pm.  Of course, this is mainly because of the medication he takes which makes him sleepy.  
  • I don't have to worry about alcohol until age 21 or illegal drugs -- Joe is way too much of a rule follower for that.  
  • They don't need the latest clothes, games, or electronics. 
  • They want me around (OK, sometimes this isn't a perk, but my friends with typical kids assure me it IS unusual!)
  • We get to have family dinners every night because they aren't running to a half a dozen (or more) weekly teams or activities.  Of course, as I mentioned in one of my other posts, dinners with Alan are anything but restful! 
I guess there are pros and cons.  Like a rainbow ... lights and darks ... favorite colors and least favorite ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment